PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

 

Home
Up
Next




HGW06 Pompeii. Herculaneum Gate West Side.

Villa di Cicerone or Villa of Cicero or Villa detta di Cicerone.

Linked to HGW15a.

Part 1.                                       Part 2

 

Excavated in 1748/9 and 1763 then filled in again after the removal of the paintings and the mosaics.

 

HGW06 Pompeii. Villa di Cicerone or Villa of Cicero.  May 2006.  Entrance.

HGW06 Pompeii. Villa di Cicerone or Villa of Cicero. May 2006. Entrance.

 

HGW06 Pompeii. May 2006. Entrance, looking west. According to Spano, at the entrance of the villa during a small excavation, two semicircular walled bases were completely disinterred (from 60 to 90cm high). These had the remains of red painted stucco on their exterior.
They were probably used to contain plants decorating the entrance of the villa. Their internal surfaces were coarse and the absence from either of any trace of a water-pipe excluded the idea that these were used as fountains. See Spano in Notizie degli Scavi, 1910, p.268-9.

HGW06 Pompeii. May 2006. Entrance, looking west.

According to Spano, at the entrance of the villa during a small excavation, two semicircular walled bases were completely disinterred (from 60 to 90cm high).

These had the remains of red painted stucco on their exterior.

They were probably used to contain plants decorating the entrance of the villa.

Their internal surfaces were coarse and the absence from either of any trace of a water-pipe excluded the idea that these were used as fountains.

See Spano in Notizie degli Scavi, 1910, p.268-9.

 

HGW06 Pompeii. May 2006. North side of entrance. According to Spano, found immediately to the left of the shop numbered 7, was a large block of material. This was found during a small excavation in the area, and can be seen on the right of the above photo. This large square mass of material contained a large circular basin, open above. This must have collected in the rain water which flowed from the high part of the Villa of Cicero, at the rear.
This basin, which had already been drawn by Mazois, was only entirely emptied of its eruptive material by this excavation. Finished with sturdy opus signinum, it was formed by an empty cylinder (1.90m deep, and 2.65m wide).The base was rather concave, and in it (to the south-east) was a distribution channel for the water.See Spano in Notizie degli Scavi, 1910, p.268-9.

HGW06 Pompeii. May 2006. North side of entrance.

According to Spano, found immediately to the left of the shop numbered 7, was a large block of material.

This was found during a small excavation in the area, and can be seen on the right of the above photo.

This large square mass of material contained a large circular basin, open above.

This must have collected in the rain water which flowed from the high part of the Villa of Cicero, at the rear.

This basin, which had already been drawn by Mazois, was only entirely emptied of its eruptive material by this excavation.

Finished with sturdy opus signinum, it was formed by an empty cylinder (1.90m deep, and 2.65m wide).

The base was rather concave, and in it (to the south-east) was a distribution channel for the water.

See Spano in Notizie degli Scavi, 1910, p.268-9.

 

HGW15a Pompeii.  May 2006.  Villa detta di Cicerone. Entrance.

HGW15a Pompeii. May 2006. Villa detta di Cicerone. Entrance .

 

HGW15a Pompeii.  May 2006.  Villa detta di Cicerone. Entrance, looking north.

HGW15a Pompeii. May 2006. Villa detta di Cicerone. Entrance, looking north.

 

HGW15a Pompeii. May 2006. Looking west from entrance towards peristyle area, now reburied.

HGW15a Pompeii. May 2006. Looking west from entrance towards peristyle area, now reburied.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 18th May 1748.  Left is a wall painting of three candelabra with cupids mainly related to the world of Dionysus.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9874.  Right is a wall painting of a candelabrum with a flying cupid in the central medallion.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 8538.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 18th May 1748.

Left is a wall painting of three candelabra with cupids mainly related to the world of Dionysus.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9874.

Right is a wall painting of a candelabrum with a flying cupid in the central medallion.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 8538.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 18th May 1748. Wall painting of four candelabra with cupids showing the making of votive offerings. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9869.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 18th May 1748.

Wall painting of four candelabra with cupids showing the making of votive offerings.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9869.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 25th May 1748.  Wall painting of flying figures.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9295.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 25th May 1748. Wall painting of flying female figures.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9295.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 1st June 1748.  Wall painting of Satyr playing pipes. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9163.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 1st June 1748. Wall painting of Satyr playing pipes.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9163.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 1st June 1748.  Wall painting of a Satyr with a Thyrsus on his shoulder and who is walking on a horizontal Thyrsus.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9164.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 1st June 1748. 

Wall painting of a Satyr with a thyrsus on his shoulder and who is walking on a horizontal thyrsus.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9164.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 18 January 1749.  Seven fragments with flying figures with a jug and musical instruments.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9297.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 18 January 1749. 

Seven fragments with flying figures with a jug and musical instruments.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9297.

 

HGW06 Pompeii. 1862 painting of floating figures found in one of the Villa rooms. See Niccolini F, 1862. Le case ed i monumenti di Pompei: Volume Secondo. Napoli. Tavolo V.
These match the third figure from the right and the third figure from the left in Naples Archaeological Museum, inventory number 9297.

HGW06 Pompeii. 1862 painting of floating figures found in one of the Villa rooms.

See Niccolini F, 1862. Le case ed i monumenti di Pompei: Volume Secondo. Napoli. Tavolo V.

These match the third figure from the right and the third figure from the left in Naples Archaeological Museum, inventory number 9297.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 18 January 1749.  Wall painting of acrobatic Satyrs with Thyrsi and musical instruments.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9119.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 18 January 1749. 

Wall painting of acrobatic Satyrs with Thyrsi and musical instruments.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9119.

 

HGW06 Pompeii.   Found in Triclinium on 18 January 1749.  Wall painting of Satyrs playing drums and lyre and dancing.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9118.

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 18 January 1749. 

Wall painting of Satyrs playing drums and lyre and dancing.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9118.

 

HGW06 Pompeii. Found in triclinium on 18 January 1749. Two acrobatic Satyrs.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 9121.

 

 

 

 

Part 2